Sunday, June 13, 2010

Letter from Tammie Shelton for EOW-GIH 2010 Adventure

I am honored to be a supporter of the Gridiron Heroes Bonaire Adventure. Over the past ten years, I have committed a portion of my time, talent, and treasure to ensure that the Eels on Wheels adaptive divers are provided with an experience of a lifetime.

My name is Tammie Shelton, and I am the Executive Director for Camp Aranzazu, a not-for-profit organization in Rockport Texas. Our mission is to enrich the lives of children and adults with chronic
illnesses and disabilities by providing unique camping experiences, environmental studies, and retreat experiences to groups with special needs. We provide traditional camp experiences for non-traditional campers. In other words, at Camp Aranzazu, the blind make bulls-eyes at the archery range, the deaf line-dance, and guests with paraplegia climb our 40’ tower and zip into a world of “Yes, I can”.

I have been a SCUBA instructor for the Eels for over 10 years,and have been blessed by the experiences held underwater with my disabled friends. Through my diving with the Eels members and my understanding of adapting programs for Camp Aranzazu campers, I know first-hand the difference that adventure experiences can make in the life of someone with a disability. These experiences go far beyond the actual event – they provide life-changing improvements to the physical, social, mental, physical, and emotional aspects of every person involved. We may not be able to cure a broken body, but we certainly can help mend a broken spirit! I also know how respectfully and carefully the Eels members plan every aspect of the trips. I am looking forward to traveling with the group and know without a doubt that a week in Bonaire will change the lives forever of the Gridiron Heroes, Eels on Wheels members, and everyone else we meet!

Please do not hesitate to call me if you have specific questions about SCUBA training, our trips, or any other detail of diving with a disability. I am here for you.

“Sea” you soon!
Tammie Shelton
203 Blanco Drive
Portland TX 78374
361-727-0800

No comments:

Post a Comment