Sunday, June 13, 2010

Letter from Kyle Walsh for EOW-GIH 2010 Adventure

Dear football fans and SCUBA fanatics everywhere,
As a former athlete who is now a quadriplegic and football coach, I am excited to tell you about the efforts of two organizations to make a life-changing impact in the lives of some very special young men. I know firsthand how awesome it is for someone with a disability to enjoy the beautiful, weightless world underwater through SCUBA diving. I am thrilled about the upcoming adventure (June 18-26) in which the Eels on Wheels Adaptive SCUBA Club will be taking injured athletes supported by the Gridiron Heroes Spinal Cord Injury Foundation to the island of Bonaire to enjoy a week of SCUBA diving, adventure, first-time experiences, encouragement, bonding, and fun.

Although I was not injured on the playing field, I do share some common experiences with the Gridiron Heroes' injured athletes. I was a walk-on football player at the University of Texas when I broke my neck in a car accident in 1992, the day after my nineteenth birthday. I am now a C-6/7 quadriplegic and have used my wheelchair for the past 18 years. In 2006, I married my lovely wife Audra, I am an offensive line coach and special education teacher at A&M Consolidated High School, and whenever I get the chance I love to travel around the world to go SCUBA diving.

Like the Gridiron Heroes, when I broke my neck I was a young athlete who loved being active and playing the game of football. There have definitely been times when it seemed impossible to regain a sense of adventure in my life. Thankfully, I have been incredibly blessed with many opportunities that allow me to have a very full life. One of those blessings happened when I was presented with the opportunity to go SCUBA diving with the Eels on Wheels in 1998. Being able to enjoy an active sport with friends and now with my wife (she was certified in 2008) is extremely meaningful to me.

I cannot tell you how excited I am about this opportunity for the injured athletes who are able to make this trip! As a quadriplegic, I know how valuable it has been for me to be given opportunities to enjoy an active and exciting life. As a coach, I know how much I care for my players and my heart reaches out to these young men, too. I cannot wait to see the smiles on their faces after an exciting and adventurous week in Bonaire!

See you underwater!
Kyle Walsh
4428 Spring Meadows Drive
College Station, TX 77845
(979)-777-4281

No comments:

Post a Comment